Let’s start the run toward this year’s Oscars with a look at a few behind the scenes categories:
Best Adapted Screenplay
- Who I Want to Win: Don’t really have a dog in this fight, I think they were all pretty well written.
- Who Should Win: I’ll lean toward ‘Moneyball’ here as the least cinematic idea (building a baseball team with statistics) and turning it into a good film.
- Who Will Win: I think this is the first of many awards that the Descendants will be taking home.
Best Original Screenplay
- Who I Want to Win: ‘Bridesmaids’. Hard for comedies to get props with this group as it is. Kind of surprised it got a nomination to be honest.
- Who Should Win: The most purely original idea to be honest was ‘the Artist’, but I’d defer to one of my screenwriting friends to tell me if the screenplay was up to snuff.
- Who Will Win: I think Woody gets some love here…
- Who I Want to Win: The hardest film (in my opinion) to direct was ‘Hugo’ by a landslide, so I’d say Scorsese.
- Who Should Win: I’ve said it before but this is as strong a top five as I can remember. Now if we’re talking personal preference, don’t get me started on ‘Tree of Life’…
- Who Will Win: Probably the director of ‘the Artist’. Probably…
Tomorrow we’ll cover the Actress categories…